Friday, April 4, 2014

In praise of The Local

Recently I heard of a granny involved in a little magazine syndicate with two friends.  These are three women who know how to get value for money, while still loving to keep up with the weekly glossies.  So they have an agreement: they each buy a particular magazine, read it and then swap.  They have a designated drop off location in one of their backyards - under the barbecue cover, if I remember correctly. They have an initialling system so they can each keep track of the magazines they have read.  Once there are 3 initials, the magazines go to a daughter, then her daughter-in-law and finally a hospital waiting room.  I love systems like this! It is a great example of getting more use out of resources and reducing waste while decreasing clutter in the home.  AND a great example of giving yourself a little bit of luxury in the everyday.

Source: here

On a larger scale, you have the local library.  I guess libraries are not actually FREE - we do pay for them in our taxes.  So, are you getting your money's worth? I wonder why libraries are not utilised more and I think maybe it is the perception that libraries have limited selections.  Or perhaps the time taken to access books from other libraries? I am SO IMPRESSED with the library.  Here is my case for libraries as a bona fide nanna technology!

Firstly, Exhibit A: The Lady.



I found this at my local library, the story of Aung San Suu Kyui.  It was a GREAT film, relatively new and one I had been waiting to see and not found in the local video shop.  Oh, and it was FREE.


Next,  I love that I can access lots of libraries.  The library catalogue is online and therefore accessible from home.  When I search for books and other media, I can choose to search "All Libraries".   Once I've made a reservation I get a text when the book is ready for collection at my local library.  As a result, I have books coming from across the state, FREE, to me.

Third, magazines, book or DVD binges.  I am not hugely enamoured any magazine at the moment, but when I am it is a great way to indulge without paying for it (i.e. it is FREE).  Also add to this list: holiday fiction, films, TV series, recipe books and how-to books.  If you have a holiday coming up or not feeling super energetic, the library is a good place to stock up on entertainment.

How often do you get to the library?  Is it an impressive or underwhelming experience?

I'll be writing about some of my library finds soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment