Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Upcycled Happy Cushions

I love making cushions.  They look pretty, they are EASY to sew and I love using bits of fabric I have collected over the years.

Cushion making makes me HAPPY.  Making 'something pretty' is rewarding enough - accomplishment - but making something out of another thing that is destined to be thrown away or seldom used is even better to me.  Lovely, happy memories and a knowing that you are living more lightly, I guess.

 Even more, I find sewing is an activity that totally engages me - I get measuring, cutting, piecing, sewing and stuffing and time races by.  Research has shown that people who have an activity they get totally engaged in are likely to be happy (read more about it here). My own gut feel is that it is great to get super engaged in activities as a counterbalance to the multitasking we do in other aspects of our lives.  So I prioritise projects that allow me to be a bit creative and learn a new skill while being 'in the zone'.

When I was heavily pregnant with my daughter (waiting, waiting, waiting) I hand sewed 2 cushions- one show-pieced a piece of silk kimono I purchased about 8 years earlier.  The other was made from a summer dress I bought at Hampton Beach about 13 years before! As I sewed the dress I thought of the  fearless, independent and FREE days of travelling.

Since then I have had my Granma's sewing machine serviced and I am slowly getting used to the faster pace.  Last night I was at it again.  This time I had a 'vintage' tea towel and a gorgeous silk furoshiki to play with.

Here you can see 2 of my creations- one from an old sun dress, the other from a tea towel.
(Yes, I have a camping chair in my kitchen.  People wonder why until they sit in it. )

The opshopped tea towel is a souvenir from Tasmania - bright orange, with a map and images of famous places.  Given that it is a tea towel, it will go well in our country kitchen.  And yes, I am looking forward to people admiring my map of Tasmania. (Had to!)

Cushions made from Japanese fabric.

The silk furoshiki was a birthday gift from my awesome mum.  She thought I could do something with it and she was right.  Originally I did use it as a furoshiki, however a lovely member of my household who helps with the washing put the furoshiki into a warm wash and it shrunk.  I was disappointed but quickly realised it was now thicker and perfect for a cushion cover.  (It probably wouldn't have worked so well if it was intentionally shrunk!!)

I have a very adhoc style of sewing - the cushions aren't perfect.  However, I do feel like I am getting better and more confident as a seamstress - one cushion at a time.

What's your happy activity? I would love to know.


No comments:

Post a Comment