Saturday, April 26, 2014

Opportunity Shopping: 5 steps to getting the good stuff

source: viewed on dirtgirl Facebook page

I love op shops.  

As a child I used to go opshopping with my mum and come home with fairly horrid stuff like porcelain figurines and huge stuffed toys.  Then I went if I needed a costume for a high school or a uni event.  When I moved out of home, I would go occasionally but would feel a bit embarrassed by it.  I'd hate to be seen there.

More recently, I have embraced opshopping.  A career counsellor told me it was a good creative outlet. I decided I prefer secondhand as it was better for the environment.  AND I realised that it was true: people make stupid choices and give away really good stuff to opshops.

Coincidently, opshops are a great place to visit to find out what NOT to give as gifts.  Christmas mugs, scented candles and gimmicky kitchen appliances are overstocked at many opshops.  

Here are 5 ways you can really benefit from opshopping.  

1.  MOST IMPORTANT: Go and go regularly.  If you are serious about finding the good stuff it is pretty important to make it a habit.  I go at least fortnightly - usually 2 opshops in the same area at a time.  I think the ladies know me at some!!

2. What do you need? It is overwhelming to look at everything - although a cursory glance over smaller shops may bring its own opportunities. Novels, bags, children's clothing or toys - have a general idea to keep you focussed.  Consider setting a budget.  It is easy to go overboard.  Just because it is cheap, doesn't mean you will use the item.  Still consider if you actually need the item.

3.  Kids toys and clothing are often practically new.  With so much gift giving and fast-growing children, there is much at the opshop for little ones.  When people say they wouldn't put their kids in opshop clothes because, "Who knows what the previous owner did with them??!!", I wonder - What do YOU do with clothes to make you so suspicious?!  With a wash, clothes can be as good as new - either brand new or with much wear still in them.

4. Is it an Exy Oppy? Depending on overheads, some opshops are generally more expensive.  By comparing key items you can get an idea.  For example, an empty Moccona coffee jar will cost you between 20 cents and 2 dollars.  Also consider that some opshops are more expensive but have higher quality merchandise.  For example, one opshop I love has great designer clothing.  I am happy to spend $15 for something there and appreciate that someone has sorted through the clothes and just left in the good stuff.

5. Buy items that you would generally buy new at a shop.  This might sound obvious, but it is really a reminder that opshops have a wider range of items than you might expect.  Magazines, incense and greeting cards can all be found at the opshop.

P.S.  Oh dear, I had been sitting on this post for a bit and then read this one in a blog I enjoy.  Similar tips, so maybe I should feel like my advice is spot on?!

Please tell me your best find at an op shop!!




2 comments:

  1. Just wish the better op-shops were open when I'm free and not working myself. I have 'worked' in a few at diff times in my life and they deliberately only opened school hours to avoid having teenagers in. What a pity, miss lots of traffic, but I guess most staff are voluntary and elderly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - Saturday afternoons! I used to go in my lunch hour - a good way to chill out for a bit.

    ReplyDelete