Monday, March 3, 2014

Nanna Technology photo scavenger hunt at my place!!


Enough typing, I wanted to show you what I mean by Nanna Technology!

I took some photos in my house and garden - I can't take credit for all these gadgets, my husband is quite nifty and resourceful.

Garden



From top left.

Rhubarb in reused containers.  Rhubarb has a tendency to get out of control, so a containment was essential.  This is part of an old wheel that was at the house when we moved in.

Our lovely outdoor table shattered.  Rather than get a replacement, my husband used some salvaged wood to make a new tabletop.  I am thrilled with result: we get a funky table that means a lot(it was an engagement gift).

We planted garlic cloves around the border of our veggie gardens and had a bumper harvest.  We have enough to eat fresh, preserve, give away and plant for next year.

The tomatoes are staked with rags - old clothes that had really had it.  The clothes are ripped up and tied around the reusable wooden stakes.

The peg bucket is an old milo tin with holes in the bottom (for drainage, when it rains). A coat hanger makes the handle. It is both rusty and rustic, but gets the job done. 

Lastly, we have made pots out of chipped mugs for strawberry plants and other seedlings.  An electric drill or a nail and hammer made the holes (potential for cracking, take care!).


House


From top left:

I updated the cushion cover on this chair from a pretty scrap of fabric I found at an opshop. 

Tomato pasta sauce in Summer - look out for tomato bargains.  I bought 5 kg for $5 at the local supermarket, plus some basil and garlic from the garden.  The jars are also reused.  

We got this awesome secondhand Fowlers Vacola kit through friends. It is basically a big pot - when filled with water it cooks and sterilises bottled fruit. So far we have bottled local apricots and peaches.  The clingstone peaches were lovely.

Old coffee jars for storage in the kitchen. They are practical and I find them aesthetically pleasing - they look wholesome and interesting when filled with different coloured plulses and grains.  These jars were also used as candle holders at our wedding. 

We got a gorgeous recipe collection tin as an engagement gift.  Instead of buying file cards, I have used the engagement cards and left over wedding thank you cards to attach or write recipes on to.  Many of the cards are laminated too -  this is a heirloom in the making!  I love the regular reminder of the engagement and wedding and the people who were there (Including their handwriting!!).

I am sure you could find examples at your place like these - and I'd love to see them!!  

While I have been researching Nanna Technology, I have come across alternative names, including:

granny skills
homesteading skills
upcycling

Maybe it is the science teacher in me: I like the term Nanna Technology, a play on the scientific term nanotechnology.

Source: here




No comments:

Post a Comment