Wednesday, February 11, 2015

You reap what you sew!

Last November I said goodbye to my sewing group.  It was one of the hard parts of moving - I had settled in and realised I was super lucky - access to a knowledgeable teacher and a super supportive and fun group. Ahhh…I am looking for that again here in Bendigo- fingers crossed!

The group gave me skills, confidence and introduced me to appliqué.  Applique is a fun and creative way to use fabric scraps.  Here are a couple of cushions I made:



The blue wings on the second owl are from a fabric I purchased in Japan about 8 years ago!! I bought the fabric to make a cushion for my mum, but never had this one in mind. Because the silky material wasn't ideal for appliqué, I bought some iron-on interfacing.  The pink Chinese material was bought when I was travelling with Mum - in Hong Kong from memory.  Originally cushion covers, parts were looking worn so I felt this was a nice way to reuse the still ok parts.  

I have also been making more bibs.  I was so excited when I found this material at an opshop: 

I am planning to make cushions and maybe a play rug.  I love that the material is a bit of a literacy prompt - where is the nest?  Can you find an 'L'?  The opposite side is made from an old towel - absorbent for drooling or cleaning up after meals.


Next projects, sewing-wise, are gathering on my Chotto Nanna Pinterest board.  

Also on the go: making a play kitchen from a thrifted set of shelves…


This has been a joint effort with my husband.  Lots of fun - for us and our daughter!






No comments:

Post a Comment