Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Totes Nanna in Winter and House Wear

There's nothing like a bit of cold weather to bring out your Nanna tendencies.

As I type, there is a likelihood that I will have:


  • a beanie 
  • a rug around my waist
  • a daggy 'house' jumper over my other clothes
  • slippers
  • scarf
  • a down jacket on
  • leggings or tights under my clothing
  • a warm drink (to warm hands!)
  • heater on, door closed, 'snake' (or cushions/towel) by the door
  • a little jog around the room or a break to do some household task that will warm me up
What are your secrets for keeping warm?  

Recently I bought a super snuggly and warm cardigan that I was looking forward to adding to my winter outerwear arsenal for 2014.  Alas, my husband has dubbed it my Chotto Nanna cardigan and now I find it being relegated to "House Wear". Admittedly, it isn't super flattering.


Do you have a collection of House Wear - clothes just to be worn at home (or maybe for a super quick trip to buy milk, if you are feeling particularly daring)?  I think House Wear is a great nanna technology as it prolongs the life of your clothing- both your good outfits and the older/worn/stained etc. but-still-delightfully-comfy stuff.  

Japanese people often do House Wear well.  As well as taking off their shoes when they return home, they also change into comfortable clothes.  I love the Japanese idea that home is a sanctuary - leaving the dirt and stress of the work day or outside world behind them when the shoes are removed.  I was given a pair of winter pyjamas by a boyfriend while I was in Japan.  Initially, I wondered why a boyfriend would be giving me (ugly) flannel pyjamas with a fleece overcoat... but the idea that he wanted me to be warm was romantic in its own way! (I found many houses in Japan were uninsulated and often cold). 

Often we don't change our clothes when we get home as we feel too busy or we worry that a visitor might arrive unexpectedly.  I guess I am challenging myself (and you, if interested!) to try out House Wear for a week or 2.  For those that work at home, you may find the challenge in dressing up when you leave the house.  For those that work out of the home, it may be to consciously designate "knock off time" when you change into your comfy house clothes.  It will be interesting to see if  a new system can prolong the life of your clothes and maybe cut down on washing.  

Yes, a bit of a taboo to challenge the idea of reducing washing;  what if my clothes are stinkyyyy?!  I just wonder if I am often lazy and wash things if they need it or not- reducing clothing life and using resources unnecessarily. Hanging clothes up to air between wearings and spot cleaning were recommended in Make Do and Mend to help families reduce resource use and prolong clothing life during World War 2.

So my husband is likely to see a bit more of my Chotto Nanna cardigan this Winter.   Rather than challenge my $4 opshop cardigan choice, maybe he should be thankful the blog isn't called Totes Japanese…




What are your secrets for keeping warm?  Or looking decent when an unexpected visitor arrives?  


No comments:

Post a Comment